Saturday, September 6, 2008

another fulfilled goal

11:59 PM

You know how I was yip yappeding away about how I needed something more meaningful to serenade my already super packed lifestyle? Weellllll, my wish came true early this week. I checked my uni webmail, which I rarely ever do coz everything's up on Cecil aneeeway, and nestled within the gargantuan amount of recycled e mails was a delightful surprise. Vicitm Support!



There. Yes. This was the exact organisation that rejected me a couple of weeks prior to this week after discovering I didn't have a car to drive myself around in the city. In a delightful twist of events, they suddenly did require my voluntary services in the form of receiving and making calls. So I eagerly booked an interview for Joanna and myself and we were off to see Apple (our interviewer) early thursday morning. Walked in circles before finally reaching Auckland Central Police Station. Anyhow, the interview went well after tiny glitches involving referees and the fact that I was an international student, but we were given nods of approval in no time. Hehe.

This weekend must have been the most stressssful one yet. We were required to attend training sessions from 9 am to 4 pm in a police training centre at Mairangi Bay which is situated on the North Shore. A fifteen minute car ride away from the confines of the city which was rather refreshing minus the bouts of unexpected car sickness inflicted upon us. I wasn't too keen spending my weekend cooped up away and listening to someone go on and on about something I had to know but perhaps could do without? In case you don't already know me, I value my freedom. And by value, I mean anyone coming in the way of it is an immediate antagonist in the memoirs of Dimi. A book that I plan to write when I hit the appropriate age to write a memoir.

Getting back on track, the training session was nothing like I expected it to be. There was a large amount of group work which was highly invigorating. And even the talks were enlightening. I think coming into this whole volunteer thing, I took it much too lightly. This is serious stuff! Victim support volunteers work with the Auckland police force. They deal with victims who have undergone REAL trauma. Not the type that gets you freaking out when you spot a zit on your forehead or a cockroach seeking refuge in one of your sneakers. These victims have undergone abuse and burglaries and deaths. And we have the priviledge of talking to them and providing them with the support they need and when they need it. The entire thing only hit me when I was sitting there, listening to the experiences of the VS coordinators and the police officers who had years and years of experience.

That's when I realized that they weren't priviledged to have me, it was rather me who was priviledged to be there! Such egocentrism tends to take over you when you're volunteering. What I sometimes fail to realize is how much this has the potential to teach me and help me in my future career. An added benefit is I got to meet so many different people. And mind you, not uni students alone. There were ofcourse psych students doing stage two and three papers who provided me with great insight of what was to come. But, there was an equally large amount of married women, working mums, retirees and career people. Such a diverse group we were.... I had great fun. We're required to attend these sessions every fortnightly for the next 6 weeks. Which means I have to give up both days of my weekends for two more weeks. But right now, I don't think I really mind. Finally feel like I have a purpose, apart from getting my degrees of course...

I'm sure that many of you might fail to see the logic in this. I mean, c'mon, giving up weekends, putting myself in dangerous situations, not getting paiiiddd!!! I only have two words. My gain! I am so excited to really get started! And we even met someone there who volunteered to drive us to and from the venue for training sessions! How awesome is that? The Law of Attraction. After months of searching, the opportunity finally fell on my lap. I am happeeee.

Let's now divert our attention to she who is not a to be volunteer.


The real me has been popping pills for the past week. The terrible influenza has got me within it's grasp. Stuffy nose. Clogged ears. Nasally conversations. The whole deal.


My troath took a terrible beating as well. But not without some gain. I now have the sexiest voice ever as widely broadcasted on facebook. Yep. If I could, I would trade in my original voice for this one. But I've stuffed a peg on my nose. And I am kicking it's ass. And crossing my fingers that it will go away by Tuesday coz Tuesday is SKiiiiiiiiiiIIIIng day!

I can't believe I am still squeezing in a holiday despite all the work I have to get done. Did not start on ANYTHING this week coz I was much too busy catching up on sleep. Why is it we only regret when time passes us by and do nothing when we have loads of it?



As far as soy milk addiction is going, I am losing the battle. Three boxes in the past three days.

And two more, soon to be gone, in my fridge. I am folding. It's amazing how these seemingly innocent cartons have the power to overcome my will to move on.

Tomorrow is a busy day.

0 comments: