Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Updates fm CBD Aucky

8:03 PM

Hehe. I'm sorry if I've grossed you out, yet again. I find this to be less disgusting than the cricket dissection I did a fortnight ago but more so than the worm dissection. Didn't upload pictures of the cricket and mollusc one coz it was much TOO small to see anyway.

But the fish dissection was awesome. Blood was spewing out everywhere. You can call me sadistic by nature but I was absolutely hypnotized by the goriness of it all. There were three different types of fish handed out for dissection and mine was the Grey Mullet. The hugest of the lot. And I was thankful for it. Coz when I looked over at Celia and her fish, all I saw was intestines, sprawled all over the place.

Apparently, during my dissection, I punctured the heart. Hence, exacerbating the spew of blood. Messy stuff. Heh. At the end of the dissection (not only did I have all my fish's organs out which was required of us) but I was also the only one in the entire lab with my lab coat stained with blood. And my gloves turned completely red. Needless to say, I reeked of fish the entire day. Pity the dude who was sitting next to me during the eco test. He prolly had to concentrate much too hard just to get past the putrid stench.


Perhaps I should've brought the fish home and cooked it???

A very Bloody affair........

Fish dissections aside, the past few weeks were rather good ones. I'm done with all my tests and assignments for the 1st half of the 2nd semester. And I can't say that I'm too fazed by it coz everything seemed to have gone pretty well. Spring break starts this friday and fingers crossed, if all goes well and I plan this thing right, we will be able to go skiing and snowboarding at Mount Ruapehu early next week. I'm a bit freaked out coz this time, I'm the one who has to do the planning coz my holiday buddies are caught up with assignments and the works til friday. ANd I still have not done anything yet. OMG. So yea, am starting right now. UMSA Ball's this saturday. And I have everything that I need apart from the chicken fillets. Hehe. My flight back to Malaysia apparently got cancelled and I wasn't informed about it so that's another tiny problem that has cropped up.

And finally! Things are beginning to heat up in Auckland. It's not so chilly anymore. The sun's out most days and the clouds are clear. But I don't wanna jinx it so I'll stop talking about the weather already.

The only thing that's bothering me is that I have not been able to achieve my volunteering goals yet. I applied for the psych victim support one but to my disappointment, applicants need to have a car of their own! And the training is a bit crazy to be honest. So that pretty much narrows down my volunteering field to absolutely nothing. JoBanana and I have exhausted almost all options. We tried the Starship Children's Hospital but to no avail coz apparently they have far too many student volunteers. We paid a visit to Volunteer Auckland and were treated really nicely. Sadly, most of the stuff we opted for did not require ongoing volunteer work, was out of the city or they were simply not looking any longer.

Odd. Coz volunteering should not be difficult. I guess there're just too many selfless people in Auckland. Either that, or everyone's looking for a way to beef up their cv's. I won't say that the prospect of writing down additional "achievements" on my cv has not crossed my mind at all, but I think volunteering is more about knowing that you are doing something selfless for a good purpose. I know that it'll be one other thing that makes me feel like a better person at the end of the day.

It just hit me. I'll be back in Malaysia in approximately 2 months. :)))

0 comments: