Monday, November 5, 2007

Wacky Weekend

4:54 PM

"A couple of hundred years ago, Benjamin Franklin shared with the world the secret of his success. 'Never leave that 'til tomorrow,' he said, 'Which you could do today.' This is the man who discovered electricity. You’d think more of us would listen to what he had to say. I don’t know why we put things off, but if I had to guess, I’d say it had a lot to do with fear. Fear of failure. Fear of pain. Fear of rejection. Sometimes the fear is just of making a decision, because what if you’re wrong. What if you make a mistake you can’t undo. Whatever it is we're afraid of, one thing holds true. That by the time the pain of not doing the thing gets worse than the fear of doing it. It can feel like we're carrying around a giant tumor. And you thought I was speaking metaphorically." - Greys Anatomy, season 1

My weekend was crazy, yet I enjoyed every part of it. I would consider Rotaract to be one of the best things to happen to me but, then again, many good things have happened to me to this date. Great things that I don't feel like leaving behind when the time comes for me to live my life elsewhere. I'm not sure if mere memories will be enough then. If the mere memory of all the awesome people I've met will be enough to bring a smile to my face. Coz I've always been the person who hopes and expects more. And these expectations empower me. What I'm saying is, I feel like I've somewhat made a mark here. So to leave everything I've built up on is going to be difficult. I'm all for the challenge. As long as I have time to brace myself before reality hits.

Back to my crazy weekend. Started off with the SAT subject tests on Saturday morning. I was this *space between thumb n index finger* close to dropping one of my registered subject tests and sitting for only 2 instead but then I paid $8 per paper. That's like, almost RM 32. So I decided against it. I chose to do Lit first. The paper just broke my spirit. It felt like I was attempting a paper in Greek or something. I was worried about the time, which led me to literally pick answers based on instinct more than anything else. And my instincts aren't always very reliable so, one word - toast *ka ping*. Bio and Math weren't that difficult. There were those occasional questions that I didn't have the mental capacity for but pretty doable.

I felt a huuuuge burden lift off my shoulders once I was done with the tests. Headed over to Mid Valley with Nirm soon after to meet up with Mike and errr... Mike. Although the initial plan included Ben and Cassie. Thanks to Nirms' spectacular planning abilities, this worked out superbly. Jk. :P Anyway, we spent the entire day there. Watched Bourne Ultimatum. Walked around for a bit. Had vegetable-less meals and multiple drinks. Long conversations. Stalked Ben. Then walked around some more. This continued til around 12 am. Tiring but FUN!

Had to wake up extra early on Sunday morning in order to be at SyUC at 8 am for the Rotaract quiz. We were in charge of registration and printing of the certs and the lucky draws and ushering. Rotarians can be the most dysfunctional lot ever, but I loved every second of it. Fun in a twisted unorganized way. Plus, the presence of all the rotaractors made it even more enjoyable. We received Stacie Orrico cds and a medal of appreciation which I got to keep as tokens of appreciation.

Later at night, there was a deepavali dinner at some Pusat Komuniti in TTDI. It was more of a helping out frenzy as opposed to a free dinner as promised. But everything came together in the end. We had to sort out shoes to be given out to the orphans at multiple homes, which included stacking, compiling, classifying and distribution. Had to make do with what we had when there weren't enough shoes. Special thanks to the rotaractors present and Mike and Nirms who were there throughout the night.

Drinks at Luna Bar was next on the agenda. I had a screaming orgasm (a drink)! Which was like a mix of everything, yet surprisingly mild. Everyone agreed that it tasted the best compared to the other drinks ordered (pina colada, space something, red wine??? amongst others). Had a frozen Margarita later with Mike and Nirms. Drinks were on Ben. Anyhow, Luna Bar's really cozy. There're multiple locations to bum around to your preference. No dance floor, but no drunken acts either so it's rated high on my list of cool places to have a quiet but expensive drink in KL. Cass had to leave early so that left Nirm, Mike and me again. Lounged there for a bit before heading off on a journey to the nearest McDs which turned out to be a prolonged journey with a police check in between. Ah, good times.

Am typing out my personal statement at the moment. Gotta go see Miss Irma and Miss Joy later. And I have this nagging urge to head to the gym. So am leaving you at that. Will try and post pictures in the next entry.

PS: I accepted the emcee-ing gig. Because, it is screaming at me from every direction that we should seize the day, and exploit the opportunities before us. Fumble. Bumble. Dumble.

PPS: I am not always negative.

PPPS: I am going to be more decisive from now on. Anywhere and anything aren't options.

"The early bird catches the worm; a stitch in time saves nine. He who hesitates is lost. We can't pretend we haven't been told. We've all heard the proverbs, heard the philosophers, heard our grandparents warning us about wasted time, heard the damn poets urging us to ‘seize the day'. Still sometimes we have to see for ourselves. We have to make our own mistakes. We have to learn our own lessons. We have to sweep today's possibility under tomorrow's rug until we can't anymore, until we finally understand for ourselves like Benjamin Franklin meant. That knowing is better than wondering, that waking is better than sleeping. And that even the biggest failure, even the worst most intractable mistake beats the hell out of never trying."

0 comments: