Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The World's my Oyster

12:17 AM

'Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit and resign yourself to the influences of each' - Henry David Thoreau

I got yet another paper cut today, after encountering many 'paper jam' sessions at the photocopy machine... It hurt so bad that I had to suck on it and ended up getting glitter sporadically scattered all over it. My thumb now looks like a red stub with shiny spots!

Lesson learnt : Papers are evil!!! They're not like knifes. With knives, you're extra cautious coz
you know what they're capable of. But papers are just unassumingly dangerous!
They strike when you're least likely to expect it.

I finally took off the 'P' sign from the back and front of my car which means, I'm officially competent which means I can no longer act innocent when I commit intentional offences on the road which means DANG! Wasn't my idea to take it off at all, I intended to keep it right there in a 'til death do us part' stance but my I-can't-stand-ur-mess mommy removed it after the incident where this complete basket of a lorry tore my side view mirror right off my innocent little kelisa. For a while, it felt like my car had lost a limb, not to mention me bobbing my head up and down and here and there like an ostrich everytime I wanted to over take or navigate my car in that particular direction.. Since the mirror was dangling off the side of the car like a severed ear and to replace it we needed a considerable amount of moolah, mom decided to make her own amends which i would like to call 'operasi desperado'. Yep, we had it replaced using copious amounts of cellotape!

This was so NOT my fault and NO, this is not about denial. I was driving like a sane person on the Federal Highway, minding my own business and the road when this effing s***hole of a man just drove past my car and rammed the side view mirror off. I was stupefied when it happened. Couldn't do nuts. All I could do was horn feebly at the dude and to no avail. He just drove off like NOTHING had happened and this was SOMETHING. Blame my horn! It's not even a real horn. It sounds like one of those fake toy car horns.. Bleh! This isn't the first time either. I still remember when i first started driving on a highway... This neanderthal lorry dude decided to play with me and put my driving skills to the 'test'. Everytime I accelerated, he somehow found a way to swerve into my lane and break just for the sake of taking me for a terror ride. ANd a terror ride it was..... I almost pee-ed in my pants... It was a horrifying encounter! So those 'P' signs, no matter how innocent looking can be fatal... Especially in the presence of entertainment starved lorry drivers who spend much of their boring lives on the road....

Lesson learnt : Steer clear of lorries if you can help it. If you can't, until you get that 'P' off, good luck!! You'll be needing it....... More often than not, let em have their way.....

Went to the US edu fair on Sunday and two people I knew were on the alumni for two different universities. Adam was a Harvard alumni and Chern Han was a Princeton alumni... I didn't know CHern Han was gonna be there la so i just happened to stumble upon him... The flyers at most of the Ivy League unis ran out fast but there were other pretty good unis with awesome alumni people to talk to. There was this one reporter at Tufts who told me about all her experiences and how she ended up doing political journalism although she took a range of miscellaneous courses at uni. It was very intriguing listening to her coz she was very articulate and she spoke with such a contagious animated look in her eyes which made me drool in excitement. Oh the joy of being young!! I initially signed up for a volunteer at the fair but i kinda signed up too late so volunteering was outta the question....

Lesson learnt : Volunteer earlier! Talking to people on the alumni can be very beneficial when
choosing a uni/coll, they're the ones who've been there and done tht....

The Rotaract meeting on Sunday kinda up-ed the tempo. Marked how serious things were getting and how much more we had to do in order to nurture the club.. Ping Ling, Jeremy and Jeremy's sister came to oversee the meeting and Ping Ling enlightened us about Rotaract. My description of rotaract was so pale in comparison to hers. She managed to capture the attention of all the members and even I didn't know some of the things that she mentioned during the meeting. At certain parts i was like, huh? Really? Since when?? Emphasizes my lack of preparation for this position but then again, she's been the president for 3 terms at least. Maybe it just takes an awful amount of experience to be as well versed with the club as she is... Anyway, will be meeting up with her tomorrow during the Rotary Club meeting at SUnway Hotel where she will get me acquainted with all the rotarians and I will be introduced to prospective members. The part where I have to make a three minute speech is wrecking my nerves at this point. You don't have to know me well to know how i retaliate when it comes to speeches. One hour/3 minutes, it's all the same. NerVeWrEcKinG!!!!

Lesson Learnt : Always send your kids for toastmasters when they're younger so tht they
never fear public speaking. Never assume that you know everything coz there
is always something new to learn.............

Work's getting more thrilling and rewarding by the day. Yesterday we did some major brainstorming with the PR team. I'm starting to think that I might have a future in PR. Loads of my ideas were accepted by the team... And they even consulted me for sentence construction... I was overwhelmed by all the attention i was getting... Very ego boosting.... LOL But no, i don't walk with my chest thrust out and my nose towards the sky. I'm still humble... Besides, I'm still working amidst genius doctors and psychiatrists and the likes. I'm just a mediocre achiever amidst the high achievers.......

Lesson Learnt : Explore all your options before deciding what you're really good at.

I feel like I'm embracing all the richness of life to the fullest. Keeping busy gives me a rush

1 comments:

mostlyepiphanies said...

heyya dimi!Its me again aizuddin.Sorry for the extreme delay,lost ur email.So couldn't actually contact you through mail.Been crazy!Just finished hols and now full steam for second semester.

would it be okay for u to pass me ur email?Mine is aizuddinanuar@gmail.com, and my blog is http://aizuddinanuar.blogspot.com,
in case ur interested.Its nothing actually,mere ramblings of sorts.

cheers!looks like ur having a whale of a time with ur internship stint.Enjoy okay!