Sunday, October 25, 2009

Updates

1:04 PM

The final week before exams is officially upon me. And to say I am prepared would be such an exaggerated lie that I'd prefer to just not go there. Akash is driving us to Tamaki today where a deserted campus lies in the middle of foliage so we can get some quiet study done. Which also means I have to get ready in one hour!

Finished my last assignment of the semester during the weekend and I can't believe how freaking long it took! I was supposed to finish it LAST weekend. But me being the perfectionist (which I hate!) went and read this entire mountain of journals to fully understand the concept of psychoanalytic desire and capitalism from Gilles Deleuze and Felix Guattari's points' of view. There is sadly, no space for perfectionism in uni. It's all about the science of balance. Spend too long on one assignment, and you lose out somewhere else, whether it's study or lecture or fun, the decision is ultimately yours. What I have come to realize is uni is almost too savage when it comes to time. It's nowhere close to a conducive place for people like me who are meticulous about detail. I'm still learning how to substitute detail and precision with speed. But I have never been good at that. To produce quality, I have always been someone to take time. It's challenging that way. And a challenge, despite my constant complains, is something that I have always loved. So bring it on finals. Time to rip you apart!

Friday night was our UMSA old/new committee appreciation dinner at Turkish Cafe in Newmarket. Pretty much a success. It marked the ultimate final event for the old committee which time and time again, I have said, that I will miss to death. KS made good souvenir booklets and everyone wrote nice stuff about each other in them. I still can't help glimpsing through mine. I love such things! SO simple yet so meaningful. And the food. OMYLORD. best food I have had in WEEKS! Jie Huei, Allan, Ati and I shared three dishes and I just couldn't help stuffing me face. Turkish food is the bombinos!

Saturday night was Vim's surprise 21st birthday party that Allan planned and executed with the assistance of myself and the rest. Got him a cake and then we waited in the apartment while they got back from grocery shopping and yelled "SURPRISE!!!!". Can die laughing! coz Vim was so shocked that the first thing he did was run out of the apartment. Good times! Been having more of my fair share. We played mafia, a game that I am pretty good at as I have come to realize. hehe. And then there was talking and laughing til the break of dawn. If it weren't for these people, my life would be lacklustre.


In other areas, my life has been consumed by Akash. I am getting used to the idea of spending so much time with one person. And what a twist too. Coz for the longest time, i have done things all by myself here in Auckland. Now I have someone calling me everyday to ask me if I've eaten and what I did and to tell me that he loves me. And to take silly pictures with me and mock me and my most favorite of all time - hug me! Gratitude comes in abundance! I have been driven around more in the past month than in my whole stay in Auckland. And for the very first time, I actually visited a temple (mummy will be haps!)... Thing with him is when he wants to take me somewhere or pay for something or do something for me, he doesn't let me say no. I guess that's what I need to getting used to. Somebody being so nice and not having ulterior motives. It shouldn't be so hard to get used to. Alrighty, I better sign off here coz QT pie's driving over in a bit.

Love yous! and see yous in Malaysia sooooooooon. One month! too soon.

0 comments: