Thursday, April 16, 2009

BreakTime

12:38 AM

I've always wondered why man came up with this thing called time. Coz it seems to me like the only reason 'time' was invented was so that we could complain about how sometimes it crawled by and at other times it disappeared, like apparitions of smoke..... And now everything's got everything to do with it. People are encapsulated by the passing of time. Decisions on whether or not to rush.. choices. Should I take my time in the shower? Is there enough time to finish off my assignment today? Did you ever think about what it would be like if time ceased to be in existence today?

There would be no today or tomorrow or yesterday. There'd be no rushing. Or gauging. There'd just be you and me and the world living in present day. I'm not sure if that would be a better world or one that caused tumultous consequences to the world as we know it today...

My mid semester break was a perpetual battle against time. Saving it. Spending it wisely. Togetherness. Rest. Privacy. Study. A battle between the tiny little wars that I fight each day. Alas. As I have come to realize. Time is a tricky little chap. It plays tricks. Drags the rug from under your feet. Topples your world. Teases your self determination. Pushes you around. At the end of the day, there's only so much planning you can do. And there's only so much of that planning that will materialize with time constantly nipping you in the rear. Taunting.

I've decided to look back at the past two weeks and say that it was time well spent. I might not have done everything I told myself to do. I mean, when it's right there before you. All this extra uninterupted moments that you have. Your mind goes crazy with ideas. At least mine did. But as the days slip by, you come to realize that ideas sometimes just remain puffy little clouds that swim around in your mind. Possibilities.

There was a lot of throwing money around this break. Went winter shopping at dressmart and around Queen Street and I ended up with some pretty good buys. Falties are the way to go over here. I managed to snag a couple of tops and a posh white winter jacket for cheap prices just coz a few buttons had come off!!! Hello! the needle and thread is there for a reason. I also decided that this year, I will be one of them calve-high-boots-wearing chicks. So i went and got myself a pair of really skinny, skinny jeans and boots *hear the angels sing from heaven*. And now, I just can't wait for winter to grace us. Coz I am uber equipped.

Melitta and I were the picture perfect movie marathon runners =D. I actually REALLy looked forward to those nights when we decided to push our assignments aside, let our worries temporarily slide out the back door and laze around on the couch in the common room with good DVDs from the Huia DVD storage. Ah. Perfection! We watched Crazy Beautiful and Swimfan and Dude, Where's my Car and Never Been Kissed and Along Came Polly and Zoolander and hmmm.... I can't remember what else. But there was a lot of movie watching.

And then there were successful attempts to go clubbing along with the failed attempts. And catching up with old friends. And slaving around with our assignments. And many attempts to study. Getting caught out in the rain. It hailed one time in Auckland during the break! And loads of sleeping. =D Day trips here and there. Regular gym visits. Huia had an easter egg hunt thingy majiggy which was pretty fun. ALthough, we did end up in the losing team. It was the perfect ego smasher coz we actually thought we were going to win! SO yea. That pretty much summarizes my 'consumed by time' easter break.....

And now I savour the very last few days before it's all work and no play yet again.....

Friday afternoon. Lin Hui's bday lunch at this rather quirky Italian restaurant which resurfaced my fetish for Italian hunks and sent me into a throng of giggles everytime the waiters swung by with their loud and twangy accent. Cibo restaurant. Definitely one to visit in Auckland. I like!

Angie, Me and (oh my Lordy, I forgot her name!!!!)

Trish flanked by the bday girl - Lin Hui, who turned 22

All of us, minus Trish.

Rinie and Siew San

Lin Hui, ......, Trish and Daniel

Because eveything on the menu spelt cheesy galore, I went with the calamari salad. And it didn't disappoint. Everything was NZD 10 btw.

Bday girl opted for a pizza which she wiped clean.

Me, Rinie and Lin Hui.

Angie and Rinie...

See what I mean by Italian hotties? This hottie served us all along and gave Lin Hui all the kisses a girl would ever want!!! Damn jealous! argh. Owh, n that was her 'cake'. It's actually Italian ice cream. Yummalicious!

A closer look.

And then we had complimentary choc fudge on the house. Rinie and I both agreed that it tasted an awful lot like Milo. I liked it!

And so, the bday girl opens her present which we all bought her. And tada! Traffic stopping red lingerie from Cotton on Body. This lady will be innocent no more.

And then Trish decided to take a picture of all of us while we were about to cross the road.
Thursday night. Suki and Rachel convinced Melitta and me to go clubbing with them even though Melitta had a guest around and we weren't up for a night out. But after a whole lot of convincng, we dolled up for yet another night of dancing and hopefully, no drinks...
The original plan was to go to Margaritas (where everyone who's anyone in Auckland goes) but the lines were as long as the Great Wall of China and it was freezing out. So we ended up going to this other club just opposite called Globe for a bit. And boy was it a sausage fest (ie: whole LOAD of guys with an odd girl gyrating flamboyantly in the corners). With no coat rack to place our coats and neither of us feeling very comfortable although there were heaps of hotties around, we decided to club hop. Turns out. Bad idea. Sixth Sense was empty and Suki and Rachel were returning home.

So instead of having the night turn out into a complete failure, Tana, Mel, James and I split from the group and headed to a karaoke lounge. Who would've guessed, my first ever karaoke session would be in Auckland! I always thought I'd end up going to one in Malaysia.

But it was uber fun! And I've discovered that I'm pretty good at it =D

Mel, Tana and Me giving our vocal chords a spin...

Miss Mexicana - Tana

Me and Mel

Me, James and Tana. Taken at a very empty Sixth Sense.

Me with the Mexican and the Fijian

And just to end this post, I shall finish with a rather typical shot of me. With my eyes wide shut. I can't get to the bottom of it, but cameras seem to love when i have my shutters shut.
Ciao for now!

0 comments: